Apples are renowned for their nutritive benefits. Most weight loss diets include this fruit. The good news is that there is an even better way of enjoying this delicacy. Apple Cider Vinegar (or ACV) is beginning to excite health and nutrition experts – for good reasons.
It is important to understand that ACV did not become relevant in the modern era. Actually, the man who holds the enviable title of ‘Father of Medicine’ Hippocrates, is credited with having used ACV to cure a host of illnesses. He especially loved using this substance to dress wounds.
What Is Apple Cider Vinegar?
To create this wonder drink, one has to crush apples, thereby exposing the fruits to yeast and fermentation. The sugar in the fruits is turned into alcohol. The ensuing substance is mixed with bacteria to transform it into ascetic acid through fermentation. In essence, ACV’s main component is ascetic acid.
When making ACV, one may opt to filter the mixture to have a smooth liquid. This type of vinegar is used for cleaning as well as culinary purposes. However, at the surface of the ACV that has not been filtered is a thick substance called ‘Mother’. This version of ACV contains beneficial proteins and bacteria that look like cobwebs.
What Are The Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar?
From the onset, it is crucial to realise that there are many benefits associated with ACV. However, not many of these have been verified scientifically. They are just assumptions. Over the years, ACV was used as a home-made remedy for a range of complications. Some families still use it out of custom handed down generations.
Because it kills bacteria and other pathogens, ACV is widely used in home cleaning. Warts, lice, fungus and nail infections were customarily treated using this type of vinegar. It is for the same reason that this substance is used to preserve food.
Like the apples it is made from, ACV can be of great help to people who want to lose weight. It fills the tummy so that one feels full even when they have not eaten much. This in turn reduces the urge to eat – a powerful reason for weight gain. Moreover, CV contains very few calories and this helps in curtailing weight gain.
ACV has also been found to be effective in managing diabetes. It helps to lower blood sugar levels. The ascetic acid in this substance is anti-glycemic and this is important in dealing with sensitivity of the insulin.
Apple Cider Vinegar is also important as a detoxifier. The same way it deals with bacteria and other harmful organisms in the house, it helps the body fight infections. The liver will benefit from an intake of ACV just as the lymph nodes. When these body parts function optimally, illnesses are kept at bay.
The benefits of ACV cannot be exhausted in one article. One can only understand them through experimentation.
Here Are A Few Tips On How To Get The Most Out Of Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Pour 1 to 2 teaspoons of ACV into a glass of water and you have a rejuvenating drink before you.
- Pour two drops of ACV into your smoothie to enrich the latter.
- Take the same drink in the morning to clear your digestive system and prevent you from overeating.
- A few drops of ACV used to dilute water will create a drink that can help overcome indigestion and other temporary stomach problems.
- Having a problem with heartburn? Mix half a teaspoon of ACV in water and take the drink for immediate relief.
- Use ACV to dress your salads the same way you would use balsamic vinegar.
- If you want to have whiter teeth, gargle with ACV to remove stains in your gums and mouth.
- Mixed with water and essential oils, ACV is one of the most effective all-purpose cleaners for your home.
- You can also use ACV as a facial toner when you mix it with water and apply the mixture to your face using cotton wool.
- Mix half a teaspoon of ACV in a glass of water and use the mixture to rinse your hair, to make the latter healthy and vermin-free.
Your Grace Guru