Everyone loves practicing ásana (physical positions); they are amazing; they make your body strong, supple and definitely healthier. But why does almost every style of yôga practice ásana in a different way?
I can not tell you much about the others methods, as I don’t practice them, but I can explain ours and why is so effective.
India is, historically, one of the most invaded countries in the world. Every great emperor in the world passed through there, including the Aryans, later Alexander the Great and most recently the British invasion. You can be sure that every single colonizer somehow changed and influenced the Indian culture and, consequently, Yôga. The most recent, and significant, change that happened in Yôga was the introduction of repetition of the ásanas.
Ásana was traditionally practiced with permanence, but when the British army landed in India the yogins of that time seemed to like the Western idea of working out the body with repetition and this new habit got stronger when Yôga was exported to United States.
So, what do we lose by practicing ásana with repetition? First of all, ásana should not be categorized as “gymnastic”. Ásana has not only the aim to make your body healthier, but, mainly, to achieve body-consciousness and self-knowledge. Body and mind being closely interrelated, the practice of ásana aims at mastery over the body with a view to securing corresponding mastery over the mind. Control of nervous and vital energies produces control of mental functions. The mind-body complex is brought under perfect control, the indwelling Self shines out and the higher self is realized.
I think it is only possible to achieve such delightful results with permanence of ásanas, never with repetitions.
When you stay in the position for a good time it acts deeply on the muscle fuses, the receptors inside the muscle cell that are connected with muscle tone, and with the protection against the risk of strain. The position, combined with focused attention and coordinated breathing, affects the muscle fuses, stimulating them to lower their defensive control over the muscle. The fibres of the muscles decrease their level of contraction and effectively stretch.
” Ásana is any firm and confortable position”
Yôga-Sutra of Patañjali
Written by Paulo Pacifici
Moods are important! Emotions are part and parcel of every human being. The tradition with human feelings – these include both good and bad vibes! If anyone tells you that they only experience good moods, please realise you are dealing with a liar or a mentally disturbed person!
As fate would have it, it always seems harder to get into a good mood but always very easy to lose it. To put it differently, you are likely to change into a bad mood faster than it will take you to adopt a positive emotion. It feels like an exercise in futility, right? … Not exactly!
Why A Bad Mood Is To Be Avoided
It is important to consider the negative effects of a bad mood, hoping that this will jolt you into realising why you need strategies in order to rid yourself of a bad temperament. A foul disposition sets in motion a series of negative reactions to people, events and other external stimuli.
When you are in a foul temperament, you are likely to dent your reputation through negative talk and actions. You may say something you will regret. It is also possible to throw away opportunities and people that could have helped you. In other words, a bad mood beclouds the mind and precipitates negative conduct.
How To Change Your Mood For The Better
Here are effective actions to take when your mood goes south, as it will often do. You will realise that changing your mood to the better will demand that you address certain mental, physical, social and even dietary issues:
1. Treat the cause, not the symptoms: Your moods are indicative of a deeper problem within you. Perhaps it is self-acceptance or low self –esteem. Possibly there is an unresolved problem with someone else. It is time you took the bull by its horns. Iron out the issues with the other person, or, where necessary, seek professional assistance.
2. Set goals and priorities: Your foul mood is probably due to exhaustion and feeling that you have too much to do within a very short time. Write down all the tasks that await you and prioritize them. Identify the urgent and the important and decide what to do first.
3. Adopt a positive disposition: Whenever you focus on the bad that is happening or is likely to happen around you, you tend to feel to despondent. Focus, rather, on what makes you happy. Think about your past success whenever the present seems to be going against your present desires.
4. Grab a wholesome snack or meal: Your moods plunge when you are low on energy. The best solution is to eat healthy food like fruits, nuts, vegetables, avocado and dark chocolate, to name a few. The nutrients these foods carry will elevate your mood almost immediately.
5. Engage in an enjoyable activity: What is that pastime that brings out the best in you? Just do it. Get out there are and ride a bike. Volunteer for community service. Engage deliberately in activities that have previously lifted your moods and made life enjoyable.
6. Invest in some humour: Your mood has plummeted? Watch that favourite comedian or comedy show and bring back some excitement into your life. Call the funny friend who makes you laugh simply by being around you. Go out and meet them as this will spike your mood. How about remembering events and people that made you laugh in the past?
7. Bring a smile to your face: This is where we say you should fake it until you make it. Go before a mirror and smile at the person who is looking back at you. Act happy and you will be surprised at how quickly your thoughts pick up the happy mood.
8. Engage in a distraction: Instead of focussing on that issue that has negatively affected your disposition, look for something different but more enjoyable to do. It may not be something you have done before, but it has to help your forget your reasons for being sad.
9. Work out: It is rare to find a person who is exercising being unhappy at the same time. Exercise has a way of stimulating the secretion of endorphins thus lifting up your mood. Take a brisk walk, hit the gym or perform push-ups in your living room to drive bad moods away.
10. Practice spirituality: There is a soul inside you that yearns for connection with the Supreme Being. Nurture your soul by engaging in prayer, meditation or any other activity that nourishes the inner being. The ensuing peace of mind cannot c0-exist with bad moods.
11. Listen to your favourite music: Music, especially that cool and sentimental type and spiritual vibes, has a way of lifting up your spirit and giving you a reason to be positive and to smile again, despite the negatives around you.
12. Dance: Closely related to music is the idea of moving your body in unison with the beat and rhythm music you are listening to. Dancing, like exercise, has a positive impact on your endorphins, banishing away a foul mood and bringing back the positive vibe you need.
13. Reach out to friends and family: Some bad moods stem from feelings of disconnection from the rest of the society. That is why you need to call your friend and eat out or watch a movie together. A much cheaper option is to set out on a walk or picnic.
14. Play: Which is your favourite game? Football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, badminton? Get some friends or visit the sports club and play to your satisfaction. Bad mood will eschew you.
15. Disengage social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and their cousins have a way of making you feel less successful, unimportant and less attractive, especially when you look at the posts and profiles of apparently more successful peers. Give yourself a break and focus on improving your self-esteem.
Most importantly, remember you can only get out of a bad mood by taking practical steps. Whatever works for you, bring the vibe and groove back, maximize on it, and bad moods will not dictate how you live your life!
Your Grace Guru
Happiness is something that all of us crave and search for all the time. It comes and goes, sometimes very quick and sometimes it stays a bit longer! Ask any person you meet what they want from life and chances are they will mention happiness are very high. We spend a lot of money trying to attain all that bliss, we go to great lengths – to the end of the world – just to feel that serenity and gladness that we crave so much.
So why is it that we don’t remain happy for long?
Here are 10 simple things you need to do to become happier or to inculcate an attitude of happiness:
1. Live a simple life: Most of us forget that life is meant to be enjoyed and the best way to do it is to live as simply as possible. Often, it is not the money and material things that bring happiness into life. Rather, it is the simple things that matter. Appreciate the very fact that you are alive and healthy; that you can talk to people and listen to the beautiful sound of nature. Much of these can be enjoyed away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Think about it this way: how would you live if you were taken to a world without modern technology?
2. Imbibe the fresh air from outdoors: There are few things that are as refreshing and invigorating as the outdoor. You level of happiness is likely to spike when your brain imbibes fresh air. After hours of interacting with many people and machines, some of them irritating, you need an injection of freshness and happiness from nature. Create time over the weekend or after work to visit that park or lake where nature teems. The blood in your brain needs that freshness to bring back happiness.
3. Exercise gratitude: It has been proved that people who accept themselves as they are often experience high levels of happiness compared to those who are always complaining. Learn to give thanks for the people around you like family and friends. Be happy when things go right and learn to appreciate when you don’t get your way. Instead of basing your daily disposition on the weather, train your body to appreciate all kinds of weather. Grateful people often find more reasons to become happier.
4. Engage in regular workouts: Regular exercise relieves the body from stress. It stretches out your muscles and brings relaxation. Your brain becomes invigorated because fresh air is mixed in the blood. Your mood is boosted and you begin to feel happier. Rarely will you go into the gym with a foul mood and low spirit and return with the same disposition. People who exercise regularly are among the happiest on earth.
The only bad workout, is the one that never happened!
5. Focus on the good, not the bad: To become happier, you need to identify issues that make you happy and those that sadden you. Your focus should be on maximizing on the positive issues and minimizing or eradicating the negative. In life, there will always be some things and people that exasperate you. Remember you cannot control what comes your way but you can decide how to react to all stimuli. Choose to be happy. Choose to see what is good inside you instead of focussing on the bad that some people associate with you.
6. Spend adequate time on sleep: The human body is designed with its own mechanism for happiness, and part of this is getting enough sleep. There is no way you will be happy when you deprive your body of sleep. Most of the time when you are irritable and likely to pick a fight with other people, it is because you have not slept adequately. It is important that you sleep for between six and eight hours daily since this will naturally rest your body and give you greater happiness.
7. Extend a helping hand: Human life was never designed to be a lonely and selfish affair. We are what we are because someone helped us along the way, we only become happier when we extend the same kind of assistance to other people who need it. Human nature is such that when we lift the spirits of others our joy is amplified. And there are many people in need of your help. Orphans, widows, the homeless, the sick and so on, can benefit from some of the surplus resources you have.
8. Have quality social time: Your friends and relatives play a great role in your life. They know you better than anybody else. Your good and bad moments are all engraved in their minds. Your happiness is connected with theirs. It follows that as their happiness increases, so does yours. Consequently, plan to spend more quality time with those who love you. Attend special occasions such as weddings and birthday parties to show support and enjoy these people’s company, and your happiness will increase.
9. Meditate: One of the most acknowledged strategies of making you happier is to meditate. Meditation helps you to bring your mind, body and spirit into conformity. It eliminates your inner conflicts, giving you peace of mind and contentment. The moment you give your inner nature contentment, you begin to become more positive and pleasurable to live with. Learn to spend time is silent contemplation of your life, listening to your inner voice.
10. Treat yourself well: Your happiness depends on how well you value yourself and how you treat yourself. You cannot make others happy if you are not happy with yourself. The battle must begin within you. Money may not buy happiness but you can use money to increase your happiness. Treat yourself to that special meal in the restaurant you like. Make that special trip to a place where you have always craved to visit. Buy that special smartphone or latest kind of clothing or car if you can afford it. You deserve it as this will make you happier.
When all is said and done, happiness begins with you appreciating yourself. Becoming happier is possible when you extend this love to others, appreciate what life brings your way, and find little ways to make life more bearable for all human beings.
Your Grace Guru
Obsession with Veggies!
Hello gorgeous ladies, I have written this article just for you!
It is not possible to talk about the human body without mentioning the word hormones! Many people do not understand about these chemical secretions and reactions, but all of us have to deal with hormonal issues every now and then. Hormonal imbalance is a serious health complication for many people, especially to women in all stages of life.
Owing to the complex lifestyles and dietary choices we make today, we have compromised the composition of hormones in our bodies. Incidentally most of the illnesses wreaking we have in our lives emanate from hormonal disproportion. It is important that you understand exactly what it means to have hormonal imbalance.
Vitamin D in Riviera Maya
Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance
If you are experiencing the following symptoms, then your body is having problems balancing your hormones.
1. Lethargy: If you are the type that feels weary most of the time and needs to have some snack to make your body active, it is likely your hormones are not well-balanced. Is it becoming common for you to feel exhausted, befuddled and lazy? Have yourself checked for hormonal inequality.
2. Bloating and other digestive complications: Many a times when you experience problems of the digestive track, you tend to associate them with poor dietary habits. However, it is also possible that your digestive hormones are not being secreted normally.
3. Uncontrolled weight gain: One of the main problems facing women today is excess weight. It is true that most of this is caused by excess consumption of carbohydrates and processed foods. However, if your hormones are not working optimally, this problem will persist.
4. Depression: A dip in mood and emotions is often a sign of hormonal imbalance. It happens when we don’t get enough rest, are stressed, or when the body has a large number of toxins.
5. Poor sleep patterns: Hormonal imbalance may also manifest itself through erratic sleeping patterns. Insomnia tends to affect every faculty of the human body. Unless you align your body to the natural sleeping order, you are going to experience interruptions in your daily routines.
6. Low libido: Sex is controlled by hormones. The moment your hormones don’t work exactly as they should, you will experience lack of or low sexual drive.
7. Hot flushes and night sweats: If you are starting to experience increased temperatures and unusual sweating at night, it is time you were checked for hormonal disproportion. Don’t just dismiss it as any other complication.
The best way to deal with such health complications, then, is to balance your hormones. There are a number of ways you can do this. The most popular (but unfortunately not the best) is hormonal replacement therapy (HRT). Considering hormonal imbalance is a problem for many people, especially women, HRT practitioners are making a kill. The actual problem with HRT is that it does not treat the cause of the problem but deals with the symptoms only.
Despite this, we should not be fast to condemn HRT. Many perimenopausal women will tell you that when they begin to experience hot flashes and night sweats, the fastest method to relieve the pain and discomfort is to take respective pills. What we are saying though is that it is better to use more long lasting methods, most of which are natural and less expensive compared to HRT.
Natural Strategies of Balancing Hormones
1. Ensure that you have healthy weight: The level of oestrogen in your body increases with increases in adipose tissue, the latter being as a result of excess fat. This is because the adipose tissue performs a similar role as the endocrine glad at this point. To avoid unnecessary secretion of surplus hormones, therefore, you need to have healthy weight. Know your BMI and always live by it. Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly. Remember having the right weight is also good for your general outlook and health.
2. Include cruciferous veggies in your diet: Indole-3-carbinol is the element in cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and related plants that generates diindolylmethane (DIM) after metabolism. With these two elements, the secretion of oestrogen in your body is regulated thus preventing hormonal imbalance. In addition, it has been proved that eating cruciferous veggies helps to prevent cancer, especially the type that affects the breasts. Stock up on these vegetables and find ways of including them in as many as your foods as possible.
3. Introduce phytoestrogens in your food: This is one of the best approaches to dealing with hormonal imbalance since it happens naturally. Instead of buying expensive HRT medication, simply eat food rich in soy and also consume generous amounts of seeds such as sunflower and flax as well as beans sprouts. Other foods rich is phytoestrogens include peas and garbanzo beans. By simply eating such food, you will regulate hormones in your body without experiencing negative side effects. And you don’t have to worry because these seeds are found in abundance in areas close to you like grocery stores.
Healthy Food Choices Inspiration
4. Consume avocados and coconut oil: Another relatively inexpensive way to curb unusual fluctuations in body hormones is to consume foods that contain fatty acid chains of varying lengths. The best examples of these are avocados and coconut oil. This category also includes salmon derived from natural habitats and butter from grass-fed animals. Apart from having your hormonal levels restored to normal you will experience improved metabolism and increased loss of weight. Instead of using expensive drugs, look for these food products and eat them as often as possible.
5. Reduce your intake of caffeine: Coffee and tea are favourite beverages for many, but herein lies a problem for those with hormonal imbalance. When you take caffeine, especially before you sleep, you tend to lose sleep, but more significantly, the hormonal level in your thyroid is interfered with. This is the moment you experience all sorts of chaos in your body since hormonal activity is significantly altered. We are not intimating that you avoid these beverages altogether (although this is advisable for those with critical hormonal imbalance problems) but reducing intake, especially before going to sleep is important.
6. Sleep adequately: Your hormonal imbalance problem is likely to be as a result of not getting enough sleep. If you are not getting between seven and eight hours of quality sleep every day, your hormonal activity will be affected negatively. Your body is designed to have reduced activity at night and this is when sleep sets in. The moment you disturb this order, you also interfere with your hormonal activity. Make sure you sleep by around 10 pm as this will ensure you get quality sleep. Make sure you have lie on a comfortable bed and that your room is dark enough. Avoid watching television or gazing at smartphone screens before you sleep.
7. Practise deep breathing: To deal with night sweats and hot flashes, you don’t have to resort to HRT all the time. The simple routine of breathing from the belly two times every day with each session lasting fifteen minutes will bring you natural relief from hormonal discrepancy. Deep breathing helps your lungs to imbibe enough energy to be fed to the blood, which ensures the blood that reaches your cells is clean. When your blood is clean, you will have not only stronger immunity from illnesses, but your hormonal activity will also be balanced correctly.
8. Herbal remedies can help: There are herbal medicines that have been proven to deal effectively with hormonal imbalance. Shatavarim, an Ayurvedic herb, is known for its ability to reduce mood swings and irritability that comes with menopause. There are even herbs that are known to deal with the physical pain and psychological distress associated with hormonal imbalance. However, it is important to talk to an expert before you begin using herbal remedies for this problem.
9. Avoid conventional birth control: While this may not be a popular kind of advice when dealing with hormonal problems, it is important to consider the rationale behind it. Did you know that birth control pills are essentially hormonal therapies that alter how your body works? More importantly, these pills make you more vulnerable to breast cancer, migraines, weight gain, nausea, mood changes, high blood pressure and breast tenderness, among other issue that should worry you. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to look for more natural and harmless ways of controlling child bearing than to interfere with hormonal activity and expose you to some much pain?
10. Get vitamin D and lots of It: This vitamin is known for its ability to boost mode and general wellbeing. To this end, vitamin D helps to control hormonal activity. This implies that you need to get enough time in the sun, though you should take care not to be harmed by the sun’s rays. Bask in the early morning and late evening hours. If you do not have this privilege, look for vitamin D supplements. This is especially true if you live in an area where you don’t have adequate exposure to the sun.
So now you have it! HRT may work over some time but it is not sustainable for hormonal imbalance problems in the long term. Go the natural way and you will never suffer from painful side effects or have to worry about the possibility of contracting dreadful illnesses again!
Your Grace Guru
Most of us often suffer from symptoms; strange symptoms and we don’t even know what the reason behind it is! Do you have symptoms such as mood swings, sinus infections, intestinal distress, brain fog, hormonal imbalance, yeast infections, headaches, chronic fatigues, and itching? However diverse these symptoms may sound the cause is often a fungus, known as Candida Albicans. This disease is often misdiagnosed, but in this article, I will explain what Candida actually is, its symptoms and how it can be treated.
What is Candida?
Candida is a type of fungus that affects the intestines. Any imbalance in your digestive or immune systems can have adverse consequences to your gut often leading to a leaky gut. Stress and certain antibiotics lead to an imbalance of this particular fungus. Often when you are stressed, lots of Candida Albicans are rapidly produced and released into your intestines. Large amounts of this fungus are toxic because it produces a range of by-products that include uric acid and a neurotoxin called acetaldehyde.
Acetaldehyde is a harmful by-product, it is known to cause brain fogs and chronic headaches. This has also recently been listed as a possible carcinogen. It’s a pathogen that can have a dangerous effect on the human body. Uric acid on the other hand, when in large amounts, can lead to gout or joint pains. Any change in the balance of your intestines can result in oral thrush, yeast infections, and various duodenal problems.
Here are some things you may do that can lead to Candida overgrowth within our bodies:
High sugar diets
The amount of sugar you consume can lead to Candida imbalance in your system. Unhealthy sugary foods taken over a long period causes Candida overgrowth.
Take a walk in your local restaurant, convenient store or mall. All these stores sell foods with added sugars. It is almost virtually impossible to ignore these sugars. Whether, its pasta sauce, meats, bread, cereals, margarine they all contain added sugars in them. These sugars are the exact kind of foods that Candida needs to proliferate. – In other words processed food!
It’s important to note that eating healthy foods and having a bar of chocolate or a scoop of ice cream once a week will not lead to increase in Candida amounts. Sugary diets consumed over longer periods of time will lead to Candida imbalance.
I know you have probably suffered from stress in the past. It’s a tough world we live in. The bills are increasing and your pay might not necessarily balance out right with your daily needs. Some of these issues sometimes lead to stress. Always worrying about what lies ahead of you can result in changes to your body. Stress sometimes leads to depression and it is often seen as one of the leading causes of ailments today.
There are different ways in which stress can lead to a Candida burst in your body.
The first thing that stress does is raise sugar level in your body. In biology, the increase in sugar levels is commonly referred to as the fight or flight effect. A state of constant worry will make your body build up lots of energy in preparation for any sudden occurrence. To boost energy levels and be ready for anything, the sugar levels in your body will have to be high all the time because it’s this sugar that broken down to form energy. And as we already know, high sugar levels will then lead to high Candida levels in the body.
The second thing is that your immune system will deteriorate once your body is under stress. Once it’s weakened, your body won’t be able to form defenses against any Candida growth in your body.
They are the most common cause of increased Candida levels. The importance of antibiotics shouldn’t be ignored, but unfortunately, they have adverse side effects. Yes, I know there are times that your body would need antibiotics to heal properly but sadly, most doctors often give antibiotics even for the commonest body diseases such as flu or the common cold. They don’t give much thought to them.
One particular type of antibiotics known as broad spectrum antibiotics can have serious effects on your immune and digestive systems. All that broad spectrum antibiotics does is to kill all bacteria in your body. However, as its common knowledge, not all bacteria is harmful to the body. We actually can’t live without certain types of bacteria.
A fully grown human has more than 400 different types of bacteria and more than 90 trillion single bacteria. That’s a lot. It means it’s almost impossible for us to eliminate all bacteria from our bodies.
Broad spectrum antibiotics and other various types of antibiotics kill most of these beneficial bacteria in our bodies. This eventually leads to digestive and immune systems complications. Once these bacteria are eliminated, one particular bacteria takes advantage of this. And yeah, you guessed it right, it’s the Candida Albicans. This bacteria won’t feel the pressure of fighting for space and food in your intestines. There won’t be any competition for the resources, and this would, therefore, mean that Candida will flourish and expand their colonies. There will be a surge of this bacteria leading to an imbalance in your gut.
Mercury in the tooth fillings
Some tooth fillings such as silver amalgam contain up to 40%-50% mercury which can have adverse effects on the Candida levels in the body. When you grind or brush your teeth, the fillings may dissipate in your mouth and consequently in your gut.
Once the mercury is absorbed into the bloodstream, your immune system will be weakened, and it can lead to serious health complications. One of these health problems can be Candida. After the mercury reaches your gut, it kills the beneficial bacteria in your digestive system allowing Candida to flourish.
There are no acceptable levels of mercury permitted in the body. If you have tooth fillings that contain even the smallest amounts of mercury, make an appointment with your dentist and have them replaced.
Fluoride and Chloride.
Chlorine is a common chemical almost like added sugars that I have named above. It’s commonly found in drinking water. This means the water you cook with, drink, bath and wash your clothes with has this chemical. It is a powerful disinfectant that ensures the water you drink is free from all pathogens.
However, sometimes chlorine kills the useful body bacteria which might eventually lead to high Candida levels in the body. Fortunately, there are ways of reducing the amount of chlorine intake in the body. You could switch to natural friendly products for your laundry needs. Another thing you can do is install filters in the water system your household uses to ensure your body takes in fewer amounts of this chemical.
Fluoride is another chemical commonly used by toothpaste manufacturers. It’s preferred because of its disinfecting nature. It kills germs found in the mouth and sometimes some of this fluoride may kill the good bacteria leaving the Candida bacteria to flourish.
Diabetic people are more susceptible to Candida because diabetes leads to fluctuating blood sugar levels. When the sugar levels are high, especially for the women, the Candida bacteria will surge in the body. High Candida yeast levels can lead to body imbalance which can eventually cause health problems.
Recent scientific research has it that Candida outbreak can be attributed to the use of the contraceptive pill. The human body is made up sensitive parts especially the stomach. To digest foods in the stomach, we need to have just the right amounts of yeasts, microorganisms, and bacteria. The right balance of these digestive chemicals is critical, but this delicate and important chemical equilibrium can be thrown off by improper hormonal balances triggered by the contraceptive pill.
Such imbalances give room for the Candida to flourish and outnumber its competitors in the digestive tract. Estrogen, commonly found in the pill leads to yeast infections.
Copper IUD is another contraceptive that leads to yeast growth in a similar manner that estrogen found in the pill. Be wary of such problems when choosing your contraceptive method.
Other common causes of Candida outgrowth include
- Drinking lots of alcohol
- Consuming fermented food products such as pickles and kombucha.
- Eating diets with lots of refined carbs
As mentioned above, candidiasis can sometimes be misdiagnosed due to the similarity of its symptoms to other diseases. It’s also quite difficult to diagnose due to the different effects it has on people. The way it can affect me may not be necessarily the same way it will affect you.
Sometimes patients diagnose themselves because of the confusing symptoms. Due to such unclear effects, it’s a common consensus that the number of people suffering from candidiasis is way more than those who are correctly diagnosed.
Common symptoms include:
You may feel the following
Poor coordination, panic attacks, poor memory, low libido levels, insomnia, sweets and alcohol cravings, dizziness, irritability, hyperactivity, anger and bitterness, and brain fog.
The gastrointestinal tract
Itching anus, constipation, bloating, constantly burping after meals, gassiness, nausea, mucus in the stool, acid reflux, diarrhea, stomach upsets, stomach cramps, and hemorrhoids.
Hives, body odor, dermatitis, acne, eczema, athlete’s foot, fungal infections on the nails, psoriasis, and cysts.
Tongue with cracks and thrushes, metallic mouth taste, canker sores, enlarged lower lip, bleeding gums, halitosis, and bad breath.
The respiratory system
Asthma attacks, persistent cough and sore throat, mucus in the throat, sinusitis, flu and hay fever-like symptoms, and the congestion of the sinus.
Itchy eyes, bags under the eyes, blurred eyesight and light sensitivity.
Ear infection and ringing ears.
The urinary tract
Persistent urinary and yeast infections. Others include fungal rash, bladder inflammation and menstrual abnormalities.
The immune system
Allergies and sensitivity to particular diets or chemicals. The common cold being a little bit more frequent, and the flu.
The body retains lots of water and weight loss.
Other common symptoms include the following:
Muscle aches chronic joint pains, heartaches, and joint stiffness.
Doctors are human, just like me, and you and they can misdiagnose Candida for some other disease due to its varying symptoms. The reason being, candidiasis can manifest itself using a combination of any of the named symptoms often leading to misdiagnosis.
Listed below are some common misdiagnoses that doctors do depending on the symptoms your body is exhibiting.
Gastroenteritis, IBS, and Crohn’s disease – Symptoms include indigestion, abdominal pains diarrhea, gas and bloating
Athlete’s foot – Fungal infection on the toenails
Arthritis – Recurring joints pains
A misdiagnosis of Candida can have adverse repercussions on your body health. To avoid such, ensure you tell your physicians all the symptoms you are feeling. Don’t leave anything behind because he may prescribe medication that may lead to Candida overgrowth.
The Healing Process
Healing from candidiasis isn’t such a long and painful process as some would imagine. There are some things listed below that you have to keep in mind as you begin the treatment plan.
First try some Detox supplements:
What should be avoided…
This is the first thing you should switch as you begin your treatment plan. There are some foods you will have to reduce so that the amounts of Candida in your body can be lowered to tolerable levels
The first being, reducing the sugar diets you consume. As I mentioned earlier in this article, sugar supports the expansion of Candida colonies so a reduction of sugars will support your healing process as the Candida will be deprived of the nutrients they require to expand. Avoid consuming candy, lots of chocolate, flours and drinking alcohol.
Consider beginning your treatment process with the cleansing of your body off Candida toxins.
Also, avoid eating fermented diets. These foods support the growth of yeast in the body leading to increased Candida. A complete elimination of such products is recommended for you to heal completely.
Reduce the amount of fresh, canned and dried fruits you consume. Fresh juice should also be reduced as it contains high amounts of natural sugars which feed Candida. However, fresh fruits have their advantages to the body, and should, therefore, be introduced in small portions when the Candida amounts in the body are in control.
Nuts such as peanuts and cashews should be reduced as they contain high amounts of mold.
Dairy products except ghee, probiotic yogurt, kefir and butter should be avoided when healing from a Candida overgrowth. Yogurt and kefir are preferred to milk because the lactose that promotes yeast growth is eliminated during the fermentation process.
Most fish contain high levels of toxins and metallic products. These toxins and metallic products suppress the immune system which may lead to an expansion of Candida. However, fish such as sardines and wild salmons can be consumed.
Meat products especially pork should be avoided as it contains retroviruses that survive the cooking process which can be harmful to you if you have a weak digestive system. Processed meats, on the other hand, contain added sugars and sulfates which aren’t good for your body
What should be consumed…
In place of sugar, use sweeteners such xylitol and stevia. They have a lesser effect as compared to ordinary sugars, but only if necessary. I am not a big fan of sweeteners at all!
I know the foods I mentioned above are the kinds of dishes and diets you enjoy cooking at home or having at the local restaurant you like visiting with your family. So you probably think there is nothing left for you to eat. However, don’t despair as there so many other delicious foods that you can consume to ensure you live a healthy life.
Consume non-starchy vegetables and reduce complex carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, yams and pasta. Only steam, grill or eat your vegetables raw
Kefir and probiotic yogurt contain nutrients that will repopulate the good bacteria in your body and hence restore balance in your body
You can consume eggs, turkey, chicken, lamb, and beef. They should, however, be organic and fresh. Processed meats should be avoided.
For the beverages, drink licorice tea, peppermint tea, cinnamon and ginger tea as they contain useful antifungal properties.
Season your foods using sea salt, black pepper, organic raw vinegar, and apple cider.
Spices and herbs such as dill, ginger, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and cinnamon contain antifungal and antioxidant properties that are great if you are suffering from a Candida overgrowth.
What should be reintroduced…
Beans such as black beans and azuki beans, grains, e.g., lentils, chickpeas, split peas, navy beans, can be slowly reintroduced into the diet because they contain some antifungal advantages and fiber which are useful for those suffering from candidiasis.
Have small portions of fruits as you recover from a Candida overgrowth. Consume fruits e.g. blackberries, cranberries, and raspberries a maximum of four times a week.
It’s recommended that a fully grown human being should have at least a pound of bacteria in their body. Anything more would be detrimental to your system and would cause a system imbalance.
Candida is a fast growing yeast, and the main purpose of antibiotics is to kill bacteria. Certain types of antibiotics can kill useful bacteria giving room to Candida to flourish leading to an overgrowth.
Probiotics are beneficial to the body as they will help reintroduce the useful and supportive bacteria to your system. They will also crowd out the Candida colonies and ensure you have the right amount of acidity in your stomach.
Start taking your probiotics as soon as you begin your strict anti- Candida diet mentioned above. You should avoid taking them and antifungals at the same time.
They come in either powder or a capsule form. However, tablets are recommended as they will ensure the introduction of bacteria into your digestive system without too many getting destroyed in the process.
It’s also suggested you take the soil based probiotics instead of the conventional regular lactic based solutions because these organisms colonize the digestive system more efficiently and are more likely to reach the small intestine tract.
My favorite ones that I use are from: ParaGone
Buy yours here today!
Anti-fungals are the last essential element of a Candida healing process. There is a variety of antifungal products you can add to your diet. Antifungals will destroy the walls of the Candida yeast and reduce the colonies in your system.
The most popular antifungal treatments include grapefruit extract and caprylic acid. Others include nystatin and eraxis.
Natural anti-fungal remedies include the following
- Oregano Oil
- Olive Leaf Extract
- Grapefruit Seeds
- Black Walnut
- Aloe Vera
- Golden Seal
Cook using coconut flour instead of the standard baking flour. Coconut bread is a great substitute for the wheat bread you consume every morning as wheat bread supports the growth of yeast in the digestive system.
Coconut oil, which can be added to your cooking, is an inexpensive type of anti-fungal remedy. Take a maximum of two tablespoons of coconut oil. Consuming too much of it might lead to diarrhea and stomach cramps. Apart from inhibiting Candida growth, coconut oil is also great for your skin and hair and will enhance your immune system. Another Coconut oil benefit is that it doesn’t break down into fats when cooked at high temperatures
Use coconut vinegar and aminos to make some delicious dressings instead of using the standard soy sauce. You can also use coconut vinegar to make marinades, as it is packed with nutrients and is also great in reducing the growth of Candida in the digestive tract.
This is it about the bad, bad, bad Candida disease! I hope this article is useful to you and you can start applying changes to your everyday diet and make a life changing progress. We all suffer from some light Candida effects and to make a detox and cleansing ones or twice a year is recommended for everyone.
With Love Your,
According to Vedanta philosophy, there are two categories of happiness. The first type of happiness is the one that is a result of things turning out the way we want them to be. For example, we can say we are happy because of our friends, family or even children. We are happy because of certain resources that are affecting us, resources that can be taken any time e.g. they aren’t permanent by nature – You could lose your job or wife, so reasons for this type of happiness can be lost any time.
The second category of happiness isn’t as a result of something we achieve or something we do but it’s a state of being. It doesn’t depend on the outer circumstances or our moods. As a result of this state our inner self tends to become calm and exuberant. Pure joy, in this case, is a result of a connection in our deepest state of unbound awareness.
Listed below are keys that will ensure lasting happiness in your life.
- Listen to your body’s behaviour and needs…
What are you comfortable doing and what are you not comfortable doing? When you are undertaking a task, ask yourself, “Do I like doing this?” If your body displays signs of distress and agony or anguish don’t proceed with the work. However, if you feel comfortable and eager to do the chore, please continue. Know what you love doing and what you detest doing then follow what your body says.
- Pay the most attention to the present…
Live and enjoy the present and always keep in mind it’s the only time you have. Accept what comes your way, maximize whatever it is and learn from it. Keep attention to what is on the table at the moment. The infinite laws of nature should be left the way they are, and life should be enjoyed to the fullest the way it is. The present is the way it is. The current moment is as it is because the world and universe are at is.
Ignore what others have to say about you. People may say all sorts of things because of how you look, the way you dress but you should ignore all the negative comments. Discover the infinite possibilities that you have on your hands. Look at life positively.
- Eat healthy…
Avoid alcohol and other fermented foods. Expose your body to safe and clean environments, nourishing foods, and happy and comforting experiences. Consider your life to be a life support system. It is like a transport system that will take you to where you desire to be. For you to arrive safely at a particular place, you need a road worthy vehicle. The same way, you should keep your body healthy. Avoid contaminating your body with toxins such as cigarettes, or liquor. Desist from alcoholic drinks. The human body is made up of cells that contribute to the state of comfort and well-being. Therefore, keep every single cell in your body in its purest form.
- According to psychology, the natural state of us humans is a state of love. Fear, hate and distress counter the state of love…
You should, therefore, build a “wall” that will shield all the hate and negative statements from your family and friends. Take part in undertakings that will have a positive impact in your life such as team building exercises. Take any fears you have and come up with ways of countering them with compassion and love. Instead of fearing exams, why don’t you study hard and work hard for them so that you won’t have to fear the outcome of the results. Once you read and revise, you will be happy when you receive your results. You can face threats because your inner self is invulnerable and impenetrable to fear.
- Create time for meditation and relaxation of the mind…
Meditation can be explained as the gateway to high levels of self-awareness, linking the mind to our inner power and eventually to self-worth. Look for space and release your feelings, breathe in the clean air, and discover your inner happiness and peace. You could start short e.g. with a ten-minute meditation either by listening to calming music or just relaxing over something that works for you. You could eventually lengthen the time you meditate by staying for longer periods every week.
How about you start each meditation session with a short prayer. Don’t ask for stuff, instead, connect your higher self and your source of light. Make it a habit, a daily practice. Pay a lot of attention to your inner life and shun external interpretations that aren’t good for you such as animosity and deception.
- Find a place in your heart to forgive…
Avoid reacting to opposition or anger with hatred, because through that, you will stressing yourself. You will make things worse because you will end up filling up your heart with disgust, and you will end up being furious. How about, you relinquish your anger as, through that, you will be cooperating with the universe flow of peace and tranquility.
- Show me who are your acquaintances and I will describe your character…
Such are wise words that we should always remember so as to remain happy. Your world “out there”, replicates your reality “in here”. Persons who you react with abhorrence and revulsion project your inner world. Be nice to those close to you. Whatever you love and care about most is what you wish for yourself. If you love someone and care about them, it means you would want the same for yourself. The key objective here is self-knowledge.
What Will Affect A Peaceful Mind?
- Special attachment is dangerous…
What we all call love is nothing but special attachment to someone or something. Such kind of attachment isn’t recommended.
If there is love, I will be at your service. Whatever you need, I will provide.
If there is attachment, I will look at you and ask myself, “What kind of service do you provide?”
One partner states: I deserve this because I married you.
The other half says: I deserve this because I married you.
This form of special treatment often passes off as love, because both the husband and the wife think that life is all about rights and not duties.
Affection + Egotism = Attachment | Attachment – Egotism = Affection.
Understand the statements written above. I don’t dispute love and its existence. I am just a firm believer that attachment isn’t something that should be approved.
Attachment is all about how many times you will see your partner and, therefore, there is no space for anything to blossom between the two of you. With love, you are open with each other, and there is a chance for discovery of new things between you two. Just like when flowers bloom during the spring season, your relationship will blossom, and you will be happy when there is love.
- Control your desires…
Uncontrolled feelings and desires cause mayhem. We are humans, and as humans, we can’t live without desires, needs and wants. However, the tricky part is, can we control our feelings? What happens once we let our emotions rage?
Feelings can be uncomfortable at times. Controlling what you feel doesn’t necessarily mean repressing or ignoring them all together. It means keeping them in check, the same way that thermostat keeps the room temperatures in your house in check. Doing so will help you become emotionally stable as well as bettering your health.
The best way of keeping your emotions in check is to focus more on your physical senses. For instance, is your heart beat rate faster? How are muscles behaving? Are they tense or tightened? Is your breathing shallow or rapid?
Acknowledge your emotions instead of suppressing them. Once you know they are there e.g. sweaty palms, and a faster heartbeat, you will be able to relax and heed what your body is communicating.
If you have heightened muscles, you could try PMR (Progressive Muscle Relaxation). PMR will enable you to identify any muscular tension in your body
Look for a quiet and relaxing environment and calm down. Relax for about 10-20 minutes.
Ensure you are always comfortable. Wear clothes that you like. Try to wear loose fitting clothes. Cleansing and deep breaths will help calm your mind and muscles.
Curl your toes as tight as you can for 5-10 seconds. Relax your muscles for around 20 seconds, and then move to the other foot. Do the same for all the other muscles in your body including those on your stomach, buttocks, lips, eyes, forehead, upper arms, hands, hips, thighs, feet and the forehead.
If you are always working, or if you are always busy, focus on the facial muscles. Engaging in such activities will help you relieve any stress you may have.
You could use visualization methods to relax. Picture yourself in a safe place. That place should be soothing and relaxing. That calm place could be quietest park you know, your bedroom, the spa, your worship place, or the beach. Create as much detail as you can. What do you smell, hear, feel, or touch?
You could imagine yourself as that pebble that’s thrown in the ocean. The pebble will drift away as the waves rise. Picture your problems to be that pebble. Imagine all that negativity, hate and animosity are drifting away just like a pebble. Comforting, isn’t it?
Visualization often seems weird in the beginning, but once you practice it, you will find it normal and comforting.
- What do you operate on? If they are likes or dislikes, be ready for consequences…
We are all unique in different ways. What I desire, might not be what you desire. For instance, a person might find pleasure in smoking, but another guy might not stand it. Some guy may look forward to selling his condo; another, on the other hand, can’t wait to buy it. Such happens everywhere.
What might be happy for someone may end up being sad and sorrowful for another. Therefore, it’s not a being or thing but how you relate and share with it. It’s not the external world that wrecks your peace but rather how you relate to it.
When you are operating on the mind level, it’s all about what you like and dislike and that is dangerous. For example, if you go to a certain country, and you find whatever food you like isn’t part of the menu, so what next? You will end up furious. And that will dent on the level of happiness you intend to achieve.
You should, therefore, operate on the intellect level instead of likes and dislikes as that will help you choose the correct path.
- The mind has a tendency of wandering…
Sometimes the mind rambles when you are talking to someone. It’s a little bit tough to concentrate 100%, even if you really want to. Lots of things are always running through our minds. The haunting past, anxieties about the future often affects our concentration.
Such worries tire us and tire our minds. Take time off and relax.
Avoid working on the weekends. Relax your mind, take a walk at the beach or spend your Saturday at the park. Children are most of the time happy. You have ever asked yourself why? Because they never worry about the past or future. Their minds are always relaxed and therefore, they are always joyful and happy.
Once You Change, You Will Be Able To Change The World!
Be the change that you want to see on the planet. Do things that you would want to see happen on the earth. If you decide to change your thoughts, your actions, the world around you will change.
View your environment with new lenses. I know everyone would like to see a clean and airy environment free from all filth and waste from non-biodegradable goods. I know you love it when the air is clean. Since you like it that way, then why would you want to engage in practices that will be detrimental to the environment such as unclean energy sources e.g. coal energy. Isn’t that going against what you would want the world to be? If you want a clean earth, green, use clean energy sources such as solar power. Avoid littering the environment. The main problem of changing the world without changing yourself is that you will still be you even after you change the environment that you dwell in. With all your negativity, hatred and flaws, you will stain the world with your sabotaging tendencies.
With you being in such kind of situation, you will not achieve whatever you intended because your mind is full of all that negativity.
Avoid spending so much time on other people’s mistakes e.g. “I wish he didn’t walk like that”, “I wish he didn’t drink that beer” Sometimes we end up forcing our closest friends or family members to change. The truth of the matter is, it’s a little bit challenging to change a person for who he or she is.
Instead, be an example, a beacon of hope. If you wish your spouse to be more positive, allow your positivism to permeate your relationship.
Your Grace Guru
Yes, it’s that special time of the year again. Our cities and our towns are painted with the colour RED, the colour of LOVE. Love birds are drowning themselves in wine; red roses flowers are decorating our streets. All these acts of love only happen once a year, this month of February. It’s the month of love.
But first, have you marked on your calendar that Valentine’s Day is only a few days away? I know you probably are way too busy working hard, making extra money to take care of your loved ones, but the first step in ensuring such a day is a success to remember the day in the first place.
Valentine’s Day is celebrated every year on the 14th of February. It’s a great day of reminding and rekindling the passion between you and your soul mate. Book a romantic hotel for your wife or who you love, buy a bottle of wine, cook his or her favorite meal. There is so much you could do for your loved one. But is it the only month or day of the year where we manifest love in all its forms including romance, passion, intimacy, joy, friendship, communion and ecstasy? Or can we express it at anytime of the year?
Love is a very strong power, what guides us humans! I know you may not yet have met someone who you are compatible with due to one reason or another. And you won’t be happy with all the roses littering our streets and couples holding hands in your city if you are all alone this Valentine’s.
But let me make it easy for you now! The first step in attracting that person you desire this is to cultivate self-love. You’ve got first to love yourself before you find that someone you have always wanted to be with.
What is self-love?
‘You and you deserve your love and affection more than anyone else in the universe!’
Personally, I have had problems with lack of self-love before. I have sorted the approval of others after struggling with feelings of guilt and failure in my life. I have felt shame and talked to my friends and family with little success. I didn’t feel I was worth of being loved at all. So how do you come out of this dark pit?
Self-love is a word that is often thrown around and misunderstood by many. It’s not about taking great care of yourself, buying yourself the latest Nikes or buying yourself that Chanel bag you have always wanted. It’s more than the usual material possessions that make us smile. Take part in actions that will ensure the psychological, physical and spiritual growth of yourself.
Lack of self-love often leads to many other self-sabotaging traits that may include either of the following
- Hypersensitivity and defensiveness
- Poor communication skills
- Eating disorders
- Poor social life due to poor social skills
- Hyper vigilance defined as the constant fear of making mistakes
- Chaotic and stressful relationships with your loved ones
- Passive aggressiveness
Many of you who are looking forward to Valentine’s Day may be well aware of this concept called self-worth. We may accept the term and all that comes with it i.e. that we love ourselves, and hopefully, our family and acquaintances reinforce that. Things will be different out there because you know it’s a harsh world. You could encounter comparisons, judgments, and criticism.
Such negative thoughts will cloud your mind and make you believe you can’t love yourself. And once you don’t love yourself, you won’t be able to attract that person you have always wanted to be your valentine. Take it as a fact!
Being told you aren’t good enough, is detrimental as you will forget to trust yourself and rely on other people’s judgments and beliefs. If other people detest you and your ways, you will struggle to be that person who meets the needs and traits of the person who you seek. You will also not be able to meet the world’s approval, and you will end getting trapped in a negative bias.
With such kind of challenges, it’s no wonder so many persons suffer from a low self-esteem. To embrace a feeling of self-worth, we have to come up with various ideas for responding to bad input and negative criticism that often boxes us to the corner.
So how to cultivate Self-Love?!
Learn to accept
You may not always like something about yourself, like your body size or your face, or you may not be the most interesting person in your circle. You might look at some of your family members or friends and wish you were like them, but unfortunately, there are some realities in life but you can always try to change some. The most important even if you are trying to do the best of yourself and go on a diet, be more intellectual or even do nothing about it. Just learn to accept the way you are and focus your energy on more positive and productive endeavors in your life and about yourself. That way you will be able to relax your mind and heart.
Learn healthy communication and social skills
This is the best way of finding that person who you’ve always wanted and, therefore, inspire love in your life. You should be able to communicate your fears and feelings in a healthy, non-confrontational and mature way. Such are critical in ensuring you cultivate self-love thus leading to improved relationships. Everyone on this planet is insecure in one way or another, instead of diminishing or hiding them, enhance your emotional insight so as you are more authentic to those whom you approach.
What’s your passion?
What do you love doing, what is your hobby? Once you define what you like participating in, you will always find a reason for waking up in the morning. You will be eager and engaged in doing what you desire. You will be able to strengthen a confident self-perception by linking up your skills with what you are passionate about. No one will force you to be someone or something you aren’t because you will openly express what and who you love.
Forgive, forgive, and forgive
To love yourself and those close to you, you have first to forgive yourself, and then forgive others for hurting you. You forgive yourself the same way you forgive others, be it your friends or family. Offer it freely with kindness. Don’t beat yourself over a mistake you have done as it’s an exercise in futility. Offer your friends forgiveness even if they don’t seek it for one reason or the other. The ability to forgive yourself and others is a bold step in wholeness, self-respect, and self-worth.
So after attaining your self-love, how do you attract someone, in other words, how do you become a love magnet?
Where and how do you find it? What steps can you take to keep the fire burning once you find love? Why is it so hard for you to find love and your friend, colleague or cousin drowns in it every day? Those are some of the questions that may be running through your mind.
Allow natural love to flow from your heart to others.
- The first thing you should do is to let go of fear.
You should be confident by now, having gathered your self-worth. The natural state of us humans as stated above is love, and the opposite of it is distress, anxiety and fear. Once you feel anxious or anguish, build a wall, a fortress around yourself to protect you from all things related to anxiety, and negative comments. That ‘fortress’ may include dropping friends that may be bringing you down, or you could engage in other positive activities that will build your confidence such as taking part in team building activities with your colleagues or family members.
Action: Over this period, look for any issues in your life that are fear based. Take a piece of paper, indicating what you fear and how you can respond to your fears from a compassionate and positive point of view. Instead of fearing that homeless man that you always ignore at the subway, how about you buy him a sandwich or hand him a couple of dollars?
Train yourself to let go of fear by countering fear with acts of love.
- Love yourself first.
As I mentioned earlier, you should first and foremost think about yourself before you can love another person. What that statement means is you should accept your flaws as none of us is perfect. Instead of blaming yourself and others for mistakes committed in your life, why don’t you look at the positive side. Look at yourself and appreciate yourself and those close to you, reminding them of their good qualities.
Action: State down the positive traits of yourself as well as others. You look great, and you are beautiful inside and outside. Look at the positive side of everything, e.g., how you handle your colleagues or what you are great at. Once people critic you, or you critic yourself, pick up a positive response to it from the list you have written down.
Loving yourself will help you project your love towards other people, and that way true love can blossom between you and your soul mate.
- Forget about your past
Most of the people who I have spoken to, have told me that so many unpleasant things have happened in their past relationships, some of which have negatively affected their love life. You may not realize it, but every time something negative happens in your life, you register it in your subconscious. It, therefore, goes in the ‘sack’ of all unpleasant things that ever happened in your life and such things are a burden on your relationships.
Imagine having a 200-pound sack on your back? It will be tough to walk. Accumulated ‘unpleasant things’ in your head will be like a 200-pound sack on your back; it will be hard for you to move forward in life especially with regards to relationships.
Action: State all the terrible things from your past, and write them down on a piece of paper. Strike them out one by one, indicating letting go of all fear, anxiety and unpleasant things that may be weighing you down and then burn it. Let go of any anger and excessive need to control those who you love and care about.
- Define your needs.
Having needs is part of human nature. We go to school, eat, sleep, work, or even marry because we have needs. In fact having needs will help you create a relationship. You and your partner will be more connected and feel better if both of your needs are voiced and accomplished. Even after stating such, most of us are uncomfortable asking the other party to meet our needs.
The irony is, we get into relationships to get some particular needs met.
Action: Think about your needs, write them down if you can. Then know the needs of your significant other, and those who are close to you. Go ahead, work hard and ensure all the stated needs are met!
- Do you know your relationship patterns?
If you aren’t attracting the right persons in your love life, most likely it’s not the first time. In such a case, you may be having relationship patterns that are a hindrance to you attracting the right people to your love life.
Action: Ask yourself if there is a way you behave that prevents you from causing love? What are your relationship patterns and what kind of people do you attract? Once you state your pattern, you will be able to define new ways of causing love between you and those who you crush on.
- Express your boundaries.
Boundaries are critical as they help you honor your wants, needs and protect you as well. Once you can choose to say yes or no to a request or demand from those who you love is when you know you have defined boundaries. Boundaries are important when you are well aware of your needs. Always ask those close to you to respect them. They will help you be more discerning, earn you self-respect and inspire others to treat you well.
Action: Keep in mind the boundaries that people should know, and make them aware of them in a subtle, polite manner. Be kind and open to your partner.
- What do you want?
What do you want from your relationship or your partner? Clearly and concisely state your wants. Ensure you don’t go overboard and give unrealistic and out of this world expectations. Be modest and avoid setting very low expectations. Avoid sabotaging your love life by engaging in negative behaviors, and instead, take action to create what you want.
Action: Model your love life after those relationships you value the most.
Be your own valentine
As you might already noticed, the month of February is often full of expectations, talks of love and people exchanging all kinds of gifts. Some can’t wait for it to come while some want it to pass as soon as it comes because they haven’t found someone to share the love with. Those who are single dread the day because there’s too much pressure from their friends and family who have a plus one to celebrate with.
I have highlighted a couple of ways in which you could cultivate self-love, and after that attract that one person you want to spend the 14th of February with. To be sincere, you may need to be patient to find love. It depends on the kind of a person you really want, your needs and desires. What if you don’t find that one guy or lady that you want to be with? How do you get to enjoy and have fun this month?
There is absolutely no reason you shouldn’t enjoy this month. I agree that having someone else in the picture is important as it will bring you happiness and joy. However, you don’t have to have someone so as to have the best Valentine’s Day ever in your life. You could view it positively and even name it ‘Self-love Month’ instead of Valentine’s Day. And another important point to note is you don’t have to wait till February to celebrate ‘Self-love Month’. How about we do it differently this year and celebrate it every single day of our lives. Being your own Valentine is one of the best ways of living a positive life.
So what steps could you take in being your own Valentine, not only this month but also every other single day of the year?
- Indulge yourself in a treat
I know you have probably seen lots of offers from various shopping establishments, salons, bars or even spas. Why don’t take a day off, go for a spa day or buy yourself a box of chocolates and get to remind yourself that you are worthy of such indulgence? Indulge in a treat, have an hour relaxing or reading a good book. You deserve it!
Treats and gifts are the first languages of love. Do something good for yourself. It’s not a crime to send yourself dozens of roses!
- Keep in mind how awesome you are!
Don’t wait for friends to tell you how beautiful, handsome, talented you are, or that you have a great smile. I know you feel great when other people compliment you. But compliments are even better once you praise yourself. We are often quick to blame ourselves when we do wrong, but once we do right, we never remember to pat ourselves on the back. I am all about self-improvement, and giving myself a compliment every day of my life.
Doing so has helped me live a happy and optimistic life.
- How about you challenge yourself this Valentine’s period?
Take a paper and note down your goals. What do you intend to achieve this year or this month of February? Start a project and challenge yourself to learn a new skill in the coming days or months. How about you take a day off, and learn a new recipe. Get empowered by the unlimited possibilities that are before you and take your life by the reins. Learning is a recommended way of invigorating yourself and getting to have fun this Valentine’s month.
- Eat healthy
Indulge in activities that will add value to your life. You could slow down on the alcohol and instead have more fresh juices instead. Eat healthy foods as such kind of foods are the key to supporting a healthy life. According to Anahata Chakra, the fourth main chakra of Buddhist Tantric, Hindu Yogic, and Shakta Traditions, there are certain foods key to supporting a healthy lifestyle. They include vegetables such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
Eat more vegetables, and exercise during this month.
- Reflect on your life and relax.
You could relax through a number of ways e.g. by enrolling in a yoga class. Engage in heart-opening postures under the Anahata teachings such as the Cobra Pose, Camel Pose, and Heart Melting Pose. These exercises will help increase blood flow in the veins, hence increase your flexibility and strength.
Delight and smile that you have nothing special going down on the 14th. You could catch some early sleep. Once you relax on your bed after a long day, reflect on the positives that life has to offer e.g. a simple thing like the fact that you are healthy.
And as I mentioned all above, you don’t need a date to have an unforgettable Valentines experience on February 14th. Stop frowning and live life to the fullest. In fact, this should be your happiest month of the year. Be happy, progress, and the most important thing, CULTIVATE SELF-LOVE this February.
And just live every day of your life like a Valentine and spread the love vibes out, they will come back to you more and bigger then you can imagine.
Your Grace Guru
Whenever the word ‘addiction’ or ‘obsession’ is mentioned, we associate it with negativity. We believe that people can only get addicted to cigarettes, harmful drugs or other obnoxious substances and behaviours. Is that why we don’t notice or acknowledge that we are addicted to social media sites?
Asking pertinent questions…
What are the symptoms of this addiction? Are there negative repercussions in such a scenario?
Addiction is addiction – the terminology notwithstanding
It is important to begin by stating that there is no difference between addiction to drugs, work or social media in terms of the disruptions these activities bring to life and how they affect the individual in question and those around him or her. That is why you should think twice before castigating that person who is sinking under the weight of cocaine, if you exhibit some of the symptoms we are about to discuss.
How to self-diagnose your social media addiction
The good thing about social media obsession is that you don’t need to sit before an expert and explain your symptoms for you to know you are hooked. You can do it yourself. Here’s how:
- You wake up in the morning and turn to your phone (incidentally it ‘sleeps’ under your pillow), turn on the internet and check whether there is anything you missed on FB while you were asleep.
- Your phone is connected to the internet while you spruce up to go leave your house because you don’t want to miss out on interesting posts that are trending in your Whatsup group.
- Breakfast is on the table but you have one eye on your phone going through all the stuff being shared in your group.
- You don’t forget to take a photo of your breakfast and display it or FB, Twitter or even Instagram just to show your friends and followers what you ate!
- You give live updates of everything happening in your life, tagging people to photos and videos and ensuring they know what you are dressed in. Even when you are bored and tired, you make sure the world knows it.
- Every idle moment, including when you are in a bus or train, is used to make observations of people and funny events and to post images of what you come across.
- You are on social media most of the time, visiting as many platforms as possible because you are on almost all the sites.
- When your friends want to find you, they don’t need to call you or come to your office or home. You have a reputation of being online most of the day, even at odd hours, thus making it easy to locate you.
- There is this game you are playing and you cannot resist reaching the next level; after all you are competing with many other people in your group and you want to have the bragging rights.
- You are the selfie queen. Every time you meet with important people and some nobodies is time for a selfie, which you promptly post on social media and boast about the meeting the persons on the photo.
- I don’t want to get into details of those who tweet while performing some vital duties in lavatories or those who are quick to get the details of some famous dead folks and giving breaking news of the death of such celebrities.
Why you should act!
This list is endless. What is important is that you realize that social media obsession is taking away precious time that you could use reading, discussing face-to-face with loved ones and consciously interacting with other people. It is unfortunate that you can spend more time with people you barely know or those who are far removed from you while neglecting those around you and who matter most to you.
Eventually you will begin to neglect your own hygiene and personal needs to pander to the vain expectations of other people. Remember social media creates a false image of perfection that you are expected to fit in and since you cannot attain it, you end up with low self-esteem, despondency and sometimes suicidal thoughts.
How to end the obsession
- Ditch social media sites. Pull down your accounts and be free of this addiction for ever.
- If you cannot leave social media completely, reduce the number of sites you are in; after all the same people you follow on Twitter are your friends on FB.
- Come up with a social media schedule in which you spend a few hours every week catching up with the latest news, thus leaving the rest of the week for serious stuff.
- Spend more of your free time with real people, chatting, laughing, enjoying a meal or beverage, travelling and helping the poor instead of wasting all your productive time on social media.
- Work on your attitude, self-esteem, grooming and other personal elements away from social media and create a unique style for yourself so you don’t fall victim of unrealistic expectations of social media.
Your Grace Guru